Thursday 8 September 2011

The 10 Year Anniversary of Evil

    Ten years ago, tragedy struck in the heart of New York City that spread chaos and despair across the entire world. It was a day unlike no other, for all the wrong reasons. The loss of a loved one is a significant event that tests a family's emotions. That day, near 3000 families mourned for their lost love ones, and the world could only send their prayers. I can remember that day, like it was yesterday. I had slept through my alarm, and was on route, late for work. It was a beautiful day outside, so I rolled down the windows as I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge. The pungent East river smelled like a combination of industry and sea. As I neared my workplace in the north building of the twin towers, the cab driver and myself heard a loud approaching air plane. I found this odd because planes don't usually fly over Manhattan. I looked out my window and was surprised to see a large jetliner on course towards the city. I couldn't take my eyes off it because it was getting too low and in the direction of the Twin Towers. As I neared the World Trade Centre buildings, it seemed as though the plane was as well, and I had a gut feeling something awful was about to occur. It was if  my eyes were glued to the plane, I couldn't comprehend what was happening. I was only blocks away when the plane hit the north tower, the one where I was supposed to be working. The sudden sense of unreality and shock filled me, I felt breathless. My office is located on the 95th of 107 floors, certainly the plane hit lower than that preventing escape. I was in utter disbelief, that my friends and co-workers could be in considerable peril while I could only watch and hope for their safety. The sounds of sirens and screams filled the streets, as the first responders reached the north tower. Just that instant sounds of another plane could be heard, when another jetliner pummelled into the south tower. It was that moment when all chaos broke loose, and the pedestrians on the street felt their safety was in jeopardy as well. However I couldn't take my eyes off the sight, knowing the trauma people were experiencing. My stomach turned as a sense of guilt filled me,  knowing I would have been up there as well. Perhaps snoozing through my alarm had been a blessing in disguise, but it seems more like sheer luck. For that reason every year later I meet this day with a tear, cherishing the fact that I'm still here. That is why ten years later, I continue to pray. Because my life was spared, that tragic September day.

No comments:

Post a Comment